December 17, 2021
PROTECTION AGAINST SMOG. ANTI-SMOG COSMETICS
What are anti-smog cosmetics used for?
Anti-smog cosmetics help to keep the skin looking healthy not only during smog. Their role is primarily:
- Freeing the skin from sebum and makeup residues, particles of pollution and cleansing the pores where pollution accumulates during the day;
- Strengthen the skin’s protection against smog.
These cosmetics are designed to maintain a state of balance so that the skin is able to resist the negative effects of the environment and can perform its physiological function as effectively as possible.
The role of anti-smog cosmetics:
- Creating an invisible barrier, strong enough to prevent pollutants from remaining on the skin’s surface;
- Protecting the skin from other harmful environmental factors such as UV rays;
- Providing essential hydration for the integrity of the skin barrier on which firmness, brightness and freshness depend;
- Support the natural defence mechanisms against free radicals. For this reason, anti-pollution cosmetic treatments usually contain highly concentrated antioxidants in their formulation;
- Prevent oxidation reactions that lead to early skin ageing;
- Prevent the skin from becoming dull when exposed to pollution.
How to care for your skin during smog
The use of anti-smog cosmetics is not enough for our skin to be fully protected against the adverse effects of polluted air. Daily morning and evening skin care is essential. Recommended skincare routines are:
- Cleansing the skin morning and evening. It is better to choose non-aggressive formulas that remove surface sebum and impurities without damaging the skin’s biofilm. Cleansing removes dirt, impurities and excess sebum, plus it helps get rid of dead cells that clog pores and can contribute to the formation of blackheads and pimples;
- Once a week, to keep the skin bright and clean, it is advisable to use scrubs with smoothing microbeads; and
- Once in a while, the use of cosmetic face masks;
- After cleansing, apply a good moisturising cream: this step is essential to keep the skin barrier intact and functional.
Action of creams and serums equipped with anti-pollution filters:
- They act as a screen against pollution and form a protective film;
- Provide protection against adverse environmental influences;
- Reduce the negative effects of free radicals;
- They impede the penetration of pollutants and other substances potentially harmful to the skin.
When it comes to moisturising, the choice can vary from creams to serums to be used alone or with your usual skincare products.
Preparations designed for daytime treatment should contain sunscreen. In fact, the harmful effects of pollution are cumulative with those caused by ultraviolet rays, increasing oxidation reactions in the skin. We remind you that this phenomenon predisposes to premature ageing, which manifests itself in the appearance of wrinkles and spots.